Click to go to home page
Click to go to our About page
Click to go to our Contact page
Click togo to our City Hall page
Click to go to Middleton Police Department page
Click to go to Middleton Community Library page
Click to go to our Industry page
Click to go to our Local Business page
Click to go to our Health Care page
Click to go to Middleton Fire Department page
Click to go to our Calendar of Events

 

Read all about our city . . .

Middleton is a thriving community located in the southeastern portion of Hardeman County at the intersection of Highway 125, running north and south, and Highway 57, running east and west, thus justifying it's recently adopted slogan "Crossroads of the South". A mayor and board of five aldermen, elected every four years, serve the population of 670 residents. Property tax rates are .99 per $100 of assessed value. Middleton residents have the highest per-capita income in Hardeman County. The town has a full-time Police Chief and Department. The Middleton Volunteer Fire Department recently moved into a new building constructed by inmates from Hardeman County Correctional Facility at no charge. The Department has a Class 5 fire insurance rating.

Early settlers of Middleton are said to have migrated to the area from small settlement of Slab Town, located approximately three miles north of Old Stateline Road at Sandy Springs, on an old stage coach line that ran between Memphis and Corinth. For years Middleton was widely known as the Jenkins-McCommons Crossing, named for William Taylor (Zack) McCommons and Jese Jenkins, who came to Middleton from North Carolina in 1849, and donated much of the land on which Middleton was founded. In 1850, following the extension of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad and construction of the depot, the town was chartered and officially named Middleton in honor of a "distinguished Memphis and Charleston official".

Civil War - Middleton, like most Hardeman County towns, was devastated by the Civil War. An old log structure that served as the town's first store, was the only business left standing after the war. It stood on the site now occupied by the Liberty Baptist Church. The oldest existing structure is Rose House on North Main Street, built by Benjamin Rose after 1833. The Methodist Church/Adams Masonic Lodge #264, built in 1859, still stands on the edge of the town square.

The town offers residents city water and sewer, a new community library, with a history section and computers with Internet access; a household trash drop-off and recycling center, elementary, junior and high schools and services of a Planning Commission. A community center, two city parks and a Boy Scout Hut provide residents with facilities for meetings and recreational activities. Hardeman County's first Boy Scout Troop #122 was founded in Middleton in 1938.

We have great schools in The City of Middleton!
READ WHAT GREAT THINGS
  MIDDLETON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 
HAS TO OFFER
(2 pg. pdf file | 168 kb)
.

Middleton has a 40-acre industrial park, with natural gas available on Highway 57 just east of Highway 125. The major supplier of natural gas in the United States is located on Highway 125 South and employs 28 people. Several large industrial manufacturers are located in the area and employ more than 1,000 county residents. Middleton is currently served by one railroad, Norfork and Southern Railroad and by two state routehighways.

Middleton has two medical clinics, a dental clinic,two banks, several restaurants and a large number of retail and service establishments. The town has a busy schedule of annual community events including the Fur, Fin and Feather Festival over Labor Day weekend, the 'M-Town Variety Show' in March and an annual Christmas Parade and Christmas Yard and Business Decorating Contest each December.

   
 
site by Miss Diana Designs 2012-2017